As our RTW trip comes to an end I thought I’d document how I’ve stayed connected to my life in the e-world. These things are my sanity ties back to regular living:
- Google Reader: blogs from friends, colleagues, ACM/IEEE publications and fun sites like PhD Comics
- Podcasts: BBC Newspod, Buzz Out Loud, Guardian Science weekly, and TWiT are perfect for long travel days
- Google docs to store notes and plan trips
- Google gears for Reader and Docs offlline access
- Twitter and Facebook to keep up with everyday life of those back in the real world
- Rapidshare using wget -c for downloading TV shows (-c for resume because net access is sooo slow out there)
all on my eee-pc 900 netbook running Easy Peasy (eee-ubuntu) backed up to an external 100GB USB drive.
One thing that didn’t makehe cut was my USB GPS dongle. Next time we’re getting a GPS-enabled camera.