My new Verizon iPhone 4S was showing incoming SMS messages with different numbers than incoming calls. I save my contacts with +1 (NNN) NNN-NNNN format so that I can call when roaming abroad without adding the US country code prefix. But SMS messages were coming in (NNN) NNN-NNNN which the phone didn’t match to the +1 version I’ve stored and I noticed that when I stored new numbers they were an odd NNNNNNNNNN form.
Anyway, I found a post that explained how to force an update from Verizon on the Apple Forum. It says:
- Open the Phone and dial *228. This is a Verizon over-the-air programming number.
- When the system answer press 1 for “Program or activate your phone”
- Wait for the call to disconnect. You should get a prompt stating something like, “Settings updated.”
- Open the Task Manager and kill the Phone, Message, and Contacts Applications
- Wait a few minutes (I waited 3 just to be extra safe)
- Open the Message App to verify the fix.
This fixed it.
My old iPhone was AT&T and I set up my new 4S by restoring from the old data. I’m not sure if that caused this problem but I’m glad it went away.